Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Bastard...

Photobucket


Thought I'd finally introduce you to my hill. It's a nasty piece of work. I affectionately name it "The Bastard" because it kills me every time I walk up it. I even manage to run the whole way down it too. 1.2kms of downhill. Downhill running is awesome. I imagine it's like running on a treadmill - no resistance from the ground, your body weight just propels you down. Nice running.

But the way up? A killer. Especially after I've done my interval running/walking at the bottom on the flat section. My whole body burns and my heartrate is often in the 180s. The hub tells me I'll be running up the hill in no time. Pah! Not likely!!

When I first started this journey to a new, healthier me (I'd just signed up to 12wbt and was waiting for pre-season to begin) I was full of motivation and would walk down to the bottom of the hill and back up stopping 4-5 times on the way. But I would be walking a fast pace. I would burn 350cals just in that session and it would take me 35mins. I now run down the hill, walk/run along the flat section, walk (slowly) back up the hill (no stops now!) do some more lunges/ab work at the house and that takes me an hour for 600+ cals burned.

On my toning days I use 'The Bastard' as my warm-up. I run down the hill to the bridge (the base of the hill) turn around and come back up. It takes me 23mins. (I've shaved over 10mins off my time). I now only burn 150cals in that walk. Look how far I've come!

2 comments:

  1. You go girl!! You should be so proud of yourself. I soooo need some motivation to get moving again!! I love the name 'Bastard', you make me laugh!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janice! I am very proud of myself! It's amazing what you can achieve when you are in the right frame of mind!

    You've gotta just get out there and do it! You'll be surprised at what you can achieve in such a short time! xx

    ReplyDelete